Interesting Coldplay Facts
Discover interesting facts & trivia about Coldplay the band, from their early days to their current Viva La Vida success!
Coldplay: Chris Martin Profile
- Chris Martin was born in Exeter, Devon, England, on March 2, 1977.
- Chris Martin is the oldest of five children born to Anthony and Alison Martin.
- Chris Martin obtained a degree in Ancient World Studies from University College London, where he met future Coldplay band members Johnny Buckland, Guy Berryman and Will Champion.
- Chris Martin sings and plays piano for Coldplay.
- Chris Martin is a huge fan of the 1980s Norwegian pop group A-ha as well as U2.
- Chris Martin married his wife, actress Gwyneth Paltrow, on December 5, 2003.
- The couple has two children: Apple Blythe Alison Martin, born May 14, 2004, and Moses Bruce Anthony Martin, born April 8, 2006.
Coldplay: Johnny Buckland Profile
- Johnny Buckland was born in Islington, London, England, on September 11, 1977.
- Johnny Buckland studied Astronomy and Mathematics at University College London, where he met Chris Martin.
- Johnny Buckland learned to play guitar at 11 years old.
- Johnny Buckland's signature guitar is the Fender Telecaster Thinline.
- Johnny Buckland is a fan of George Harrison, Jimi Hendrix, U2, My Bloody Valentine and The Stone Roses.
- Johnny Buckland is a godfather to Chris Martin's daughter, Apple.
- Johnny Buckland and girlfriend Chloe Lee-Evans have one child, Violet, born November 3, 2007.
Coldplay: Guy Berryman Profile
- Coldplay bassist Guy Berryman was born in Kirkcaldy, Scotland, on April 12, 1978.
- Guy Berryman is left handed but plays a right-handed bass guitar.
- Guy Berryman learned to play bass guitar at 13 years old.
- Guy Berryman briefly studied Engineering at University College London before switching over to Architecture.
- Guy Berryman married girlfriend Joanna Briston in 2004.
- The couple has one daughter, Nico, who was born on September 17, 2006.
Coldplay: Will Champion Profile
- Coldplay drummer Will Champion was born in Southampton, England, on July 31, 1978.
- Will Champion first learned to play guitar, piano and bass.
- Will Champion studied Anthropology at University College London.
- After joining Coldplay, Will Champion quickly learned to play the drums in the late 1990s.
- Will Champion married Marianne Dark, a teacher, in 2003.
- The couple has three children: Ava born April 28, 2006, and twins Juno and Rex born May 7, 2008.
Coldplay: Early Career
- On May 18, 1998, Coldplay released the three-song Safety EP, which was self-financed by the band.
- Only 500 copies of the Safety EP exist; most were given away to record companies, family and friends.
- Coldplay signed to indie label Fierce Panda and released the Brothers & Sisters EP on April 26, 1999.
- By the end of 1999, Coldplay had signed to the UK label Parlophone and released its third EP called The Blue Room.
- In 2000, Coldplay embarked on its first tour, The Carling Tour, sponsored by UK music magazine NME.
- The Carling Tour introduced Coldplay to the British rock scene and helped to sell plenty of Coldplay tickets for future concert tours.
- On July 10, 2000, Coldplay released their first full-length album Parachutes.
- Coldplay earned a spot on the annual UK festival, Glastonbury, exposing Coldplay's music to lucky fans with Coldplay tickets.
- The second single from Parachutes "Yellow" was a crossover hit in the U.S., reaching No. 6 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.
- Coldplay's next U.S. single "Trouble" became a Top 25 hit on the Billboard Adult Top 40.
- Parachutes sold over 2 million copies in the US alone.
- Coldplay's Parachutes won Best Alternative Music Album at the 2002 Grammy Awards.
- Because of all the accolades Parachutes won, Coldplay's U.S. club tour was a success, selling out of Coldplay tickets on several stops.
Coldplay: 'A Rush' of Success
- On August 26, 2002, Coldplay released their second album A Rush of Blood to the Head.
- Coldplay headlined the 2002 Glastonbury Festival playing for hundreds of thousands of lucky fans with Coldplay tickets.
- The first single "In My Place" reached No. 2 on the UK charts and peaked inside the Top 20 on Billboard's Modern Rock Chart.
- "In My Place" won Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group at the 2003 Grammy Awards.
- Coldplay's second single "Clocks" reached No. 9 both on the UK and Billboard charts.
- Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head won Best Alternative Album at the 2003 Grammy Awards
Coldplay: A Rush to Tour
- Coldplay began the A Rush of Blood to the Head tour on June 19, 2002.
- The A Rush of Blood to the Head Tour spanned five continents and boasted 126 tour dates.
- Coldplay no longer performed in small clubs but large-capacity stadiums so that more fans could purchase Coldplay tickets to see the band live.
- Fans with Coldplay tickets to the A Rush of Blood to the Head tour heard a mix of Coldplay songs from Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head such as "Clocks," "Yellow," "Trouble" and "In My Place."
Coldplay: Unleash X&Y
- Coldplay released its third album X&Y on June 6, 2005.
- X&Y is a departure from previous Coldplay albums in that it utilizes electronic music.
- X&Y produced many hit singles including "Fix You" and "Speed of Sound."
- X&Y sold over 8 million copies worldwide.
- Upon the release of X&Y, Coldplay embarked on the Twisted Logic Tour, which featured 127 tour dates that hit North America to Europe, South East Asia and Japan.
- Fans with Coldplay tickets were often amazed at the visual and aural stage show Coldplay employed during the Twisted Logic Tour.
Coldplay: Viva La Vida
- Coldplay released its fourth album Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends on June 11, 2008.
- The lead single from Viva La Vida is "Violet Hill."
- Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends debuted at No. 1 around the world and sold almost 2 million copies in the U.S. alone.
- A few weeks after the release of Viva La Vida or Death and His Friends, Coldplay embarked on the Viva La Vida Tour, sending fans flocking to buy Coldplay tickets.
- The Viva La Vida Tour is scheduled to make 80 stops for tour dates in North America, Europe and Japan.
- Coldplay tickets have been selling out across the board for many Viva La Vida tour dates.
- Fans with Coldplay tickets have heard the new Coldplay singles "Violet Hill" and "Lost!"